January 12, 2011 – “Theme for English B” - Langston Hughes

Text:
“Theme for English B” by Langston Hughes

The instructor said,
Go home and write
a page tonight.
And let that page come out of you---
Then, it will be true.
I wonder if it's that simple?
I am twenty-two, colored, born in Winston-Salem.
I went to school there, then Durham, then here
to this college on the hill above Harlem.
I am the only colored student in my class.
The steps from the hill lead down into Harlem
through a park, then I cross St. Nicholas,
Eighth Avenue, Seventh, and I come to the Y,
the Harlem Branch Y, where I take the elevator
up to my room, sit down, and write this page:
It's not easy to know what is true for you or me
at twenty-two, my age. But I guess I'm what
I feel and see and hear, Harlem, I hear you:
hear you, hear me---we two---you, me, talk on this page.
(I hear New York too.) Me---who?
Well, I like to eat, sleep, drink, and be in love.
I like to work, read, learn, and understand life.
I like a pipe for a Christmas present,
or records---Bessie, bop, or Bach.
I guess being colored doesn't make me NOT like
the same things other folks like who are other races.
So will my page be colored that I write?
Being me, it will not be white.
But it will be
a part of you, instructor.
You are white---
yet a part of me, as I am a part of you.
That's American.
Sometimes perhaps you don't want to be a part of me.
Nor do I often want to be a part of you.
But we are, that's true!
As I learn from you,
I guess you learn from me---
although you're older---and white---
and somewhat more free.
This is my page for English B.
Initial Impression:
When I first read “Theme for English B” by Langston Hughes, I got the impression that the narrator is an African American who is used to racism and harsh treatment. This person goes to a college in Harlem, New York and is taking an English course at the time that he writes his poem, as instructed by his instructor. It seems that the point of this poem is for the narrator to express his emotions about being black in a white man’s society and trying to find one’s self.

Paraphrase:
The teacher told us to write a paper for homework, and that whatever we write needs to come from the heart so that it rings true.
I wonder if fulfilling something could be so easy. I am 22 year old black person who was born in Winston-Salem. I went to school in Winston-Salem, Durham, and then here at this college on a hill above Harlem. I am the only black person in my class. If I go down the steps of the college, into Harlem, through park, and cross St. Nicholas Eighth Avenue, I come to the Y. I live at the Harlem Branch Y, where I go upstairs to my room, sit, and write this paper:
It’s difficult to know the truth about oneself when you are 22. But I guess I am what I see and hear. I see and hear Harlem, you, me, and New York. But, who am I? I like to eat, sleep, drink, and be in love. I like to work, read, learn, and understand life (paradox since he doesn’t know who he is per se). I want either a pipe or records for Christmas. I suppose my being black doesn’t make me like different things than other races. So will you be able to tell me apart from others by what I write? I am not white – will my writing reflect it? You and I are both American, teacher, so this paper can relate to you as well. Sometimes you probably do not want to be associated with my race, as I don’t want to be associated with yours sometimes. But we are both Americans - that we cannot deny. I learn English from you and you learn from me the troubles of America’s society, even thought you are older, white, and have more freedom.
This is my paper for English B.

SWIFTT:
Langston Hughes uses syntax, diction, imagery, figurative language, tone, and theme in the poem, “Theme for English B.” The poem is set in Harlem, New York, where the narrator attends college.
Syntax/Word choice:
The poem has three stanzas in which the narrator obtains his English assignment, introduces himself and his daily routine, then compares his teacher to himself and concludes his paper. Langston Hughes uses rhetorical question, rhyme, and alliteration. He also uses repetition of words to emphasize important phrases.
Imagery:
The imagery in “Theme for English B” relates to his college, where “The steps from the hill lead down into Harlem through a park…” There is also the repeating imagery comparing different ethnicities: “although you're older---and white--”
Figurative language:
There is no simile, metaphor, or personification. However, Langston Hughes uses a double negative in line 25: “I guess being colored doesn't make me NOT like…”
Tone:
His tone is contrite and trite, leading into the theme of the poem.
Theme:
The theme of “Theme for English B” is the fear of acceptance. The narrator is worried that if he expresses himself as he is, he doesn’t think that the teacher will appreciate what he has to say. The teacher and the student are both American, yet there is a difference in their color, which, at this time, makes a major difference.

Conclusion:
After analyzing the poem with the class, I have been able to comprehend Langston Hughes’ “Theme for English B.” Originally, I did not notice that the narrator was worried about acceptance and being understood. Then, by analyzing the poem and paraphrasing it, I have come to understand how Hughes felt about the split in races when he wrote this poem. He felt that since he was black, he would not be judged the same; that he was somehow essentially different from white people simply because of his skin color. He wanted to be accepted for who he was and not frowned upon due to his skin tone.

2 comments: