January 10, 2011 – “On Reading Poems to a Senior Class at South High” – D. C. Berry

Text:
“On Reading Poems to a Senior Class at South High” by D. C. Berry

Before
I opened my mouth
I noticed them sitting there
as orderly as frozen fish
in a package.
Slowly water began to fill the room
though I did not notice it
till it reached
my ears
and then I heard the sounds
of fish in an aquarium
and I knew that though I had
tried to drown them
with my words
that they had only opened up
like gills for them
and let me in.
Together we swam around the room
like thirty tails whacking words
till the bell rang
puncturing
a hole in the door
where we all leaked out
They went to another class
I suppose and I home
where Queen Elizabeth
my cat met me
and licked my fins
till they were hands again.

Initial Impression:
Before I read “On Reading Poems to a Senior Class at South High,” I considered what the title of the poem could mean. When I think of seniors, or any students, being read poetry, I don’t imagine them entirely comprehending the meaning of said poem. When I read this poem by D. C. Berry, my first impression was that a teacher was reading poetry to a senior class, who did not understand what the poetry meant. The teacher continues reading until the bell rings, and goes home feeling defeated and like he or she failed at teaching his or her class.

Paraphrase:
When I arrived, the students were bored. I originally thought that the students would not pay attention to the poetry or understand it. As I began to read the poetry to them, the students paid attention and became involved in the poetic story. Then the bell rang; the students went to their next class and I went home. My cat licked me, and that brought me back to reality.
SWIFTT:
D. C. Berry uses syntax, diction, imagery, figurative language, tone, and theme in the poem, “On Reading Poems to a Senior Class at South High.”
Syntax/Word choice:
The title itself introduces what the poem will be about. The poem is free verse poetry, with no pattern, rhyme, or meter, and is considered a lyric poem.
Imagery:
On Reading Poems to a Senior Class at South High” also utilizes imagery like students sitting in seats “as orderly as frozen fish in a package,” as well as the imagery of fish swimming in schools.
Figurative language:
There is plenty of figurative language, from alliteration, “whacking words,” to personification, “the bell rang, puncturing a hole in the door.” Also, when D. C. Berry writes, “opened up like gills,” the students have become engaged in what the teacher has to say. There is also a synecdoche, a figure of speech in which the word for part of something is used to mean the whole: “like thirty tails.” “
Tone:
The tone of the poem is awed that the students seem to understand the poetry.
Theme:
The main theme of this poem by D. C. Berry is that assumptions should not be made before getting to know the person.

Conclusion:
After rereading and analyzing the poem, I have come to the conclusion that D. C. Berry’s “On Reading Poems to a Senior Class at South High” is a poem written to inspire people not to make judgments or assumptions before giving someone a class. Most people would think that students would be bored and confused by poetry. However, the students at South High prove this generalization incorrect, just as other impulse-judgments are shown to be wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment